Before You Buy a Metal Building
A metal building project can be a frustrating experience if you don't do your homework. Questions must be answered before buying a building.
Who is going to do the concrete, building erection, building permits, water hook-up, electrical, plumbing, how many exit doors are needed, how many bathrooms do you need, etc...
Depending on the size of the building, it may be wise to get a contractor involved. But just because they're a contractor doesn't mean that they're qualified to do your total turnkey package. It's important to check the contractor's licenses and references to make sure they're qualified to do your metal building package.
Need a contractor? Braemar has an extensive list of independent contractors across the United States and Canada that we can refer you to. But, we only do this if you specifically ask us to. If you are interested in an experienced metal buildings contractor, please call us at 888-480-5552.
Local Building Departments
Check with your local building department on the following:
- Property zoning?
- Property set backs?
- Correct building code?
- Correct live load or ground snow load?
- Correct wind load?
- Correct wind exposure? (This does not apply to all codes.)
- Correct seismic code?
- Are structural calculations required?
- Is a stamped foundation design required?
- Required permits and fees?
- Any covenants controlling your area?
- Sprinkler requirements?
* These twelve questions will help you make sure you're ordering a metal building that's correctly designed for your area and lot size.
Have questions? Call us at 888-480-5552. We're here to help and always happy to answer your questions.
Metal Buildings Supplier
When ordering a metal building system, make sure of what you're getting with that building.
- Check for the correct codes and load.
- If structural calculations are needed, is it included?
- What gage of sheeting are you buying?
- 24 gage?
- 26 gage?
- 29 gage?
- What finish does the sheeting have?
- What is the warranty on the finish?
- What type of roof are you getting?
- Screw down?
- Standing seam?
- What type of wall sheeting are you getting?
- R panel?
- What is the trim package?
- Base trim?
- Trimmed framed openings?
- Trim colors options?
- Are the dead loads added to accommodate a sprinkler system?
- Are walk doors included?
- What kind of door?
- Solid Metal?
- Metal with a window?
- Are you getting the glass?
- What kind of lock set?
- Do you need panic hardware?
- Walk door framed openings without the door?
- Are windows included?
- What kind of windows?
- Horizontal slider?
- Vertical slider?
- Window framed openings without windows?
- Are overhead doors included?
- What kind of doors?
- Motor lift?
- Chain Lift?
- No Windows?
- What color?
- Door framed opening without the door?
- Are vents included?
- What kind of vents?
- Ridge vents?
- With or without damper?
- With or without screens?
- What color?
- Vent framed opening without a vent?
- Is insulation included?
- What kind of insulation?
- What R value?
- What Thickness?
- What facing?
- Are gutters and downspouts included?
- How many downspouts?
- Who is responsible for the foundation design?
- Is this an erected price?
- Is freight included?
- Is sales tax included?
Don't just ask the question. Make sure it's written on the agreement before you sign. The agreement is a binding commitment between you and the seller. Don't just take their word that it's included. Adding to or making changes after the contract is signed can be costly. The more you have in black and white the less you have in gray!
Better Business Bureau
You should check the rating of any US company through the Better Business Bureau's web site at: www.bbb.org
The Better Business Bureau has the following cautions when thinking of a steel building:
When purchasing a steel building, or steel building "kit" there could be hidden costs that you may want to factor in to your purchase decision.
- Concrete Foundation
- Additional Doors
- Land Preparation
Other costs to consider are electricity, plumbing, insulation and interior finishing. Keep in mind that if purchasing a "kit", that it is just one part of the overall cost.
Braemar Metal Building Systems = Your Peace of Mind
We're Here to Help!
All of this may seem challenging but it doesn't have to be. Braemar Metal Buildings has the building specialists to help you get your questions answered to assist you in making sure your project is a success. So take a moment and call us today at 888-480-5552. We will answer your questions, help you with referrals and provide you with a free, no obligation quote on your metal building.
A Metal Buildings Manufacturer Checklist
We've prepared a free downloadable check sheet (PDF format) you can use to compare building manufacturers.